Sunday, April 5, 2009

These are a few of my favorite things...

Six things I LOVE about UVA (in no particular order)

1. The classes. UVa has a wide variety of classes to take in the College of Arts and Sciences, but there are a ton of other options in the Engineering School, Nursing School, Architecture School, and Education School. If you don't know what you want to study, you can come here and take a little time before you decide!

2. The libraries. Clemons is open 24 hours on most nights of the week (which is great for pulling the occasional all-nighter). Alderman has a coffee shop in it, and rooms with great sunlight. I also love wandering around in the Stacks to find a book, because being in all of the never-ending rows of dusty, old books makes me feel so smart!

3. The weather in Charlottesville. I'm not much of a fan of winter (I had to buy an entire winter wardrobe when it started getting cold!!) but I think that Charlottesville has a great balance of all four seasons. The summers are especially amazing :)

4. The community service opportunities. Madison House is the umbrella organization for community service at UVa. I also volunteer as a mentor with a middle school girl through the Young Women Leaders Program, which has been one of the most rewarding activities I have done so far at UVA. 

5. Student self-governance. One thing that really sets UVa apart from other schools is that students are entrusted to do a LOT. The entire honor system is student run. The alternative spring break program that sends people all over the US and the world for service trips is all organized by students. Students even initiated a new major this year (as someone mentioned in an earlier post). 

6. UVa is just the right size. I usually seem to see people that i know around Grounds and in my classes, but there are always fresh faces to meet at parties!

-Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment